Sunday, February 12, 2017

MA IN HER KERCHIEF AND PA IN HIS CAP


I can feel myself regret saying this as I write it. But here goes—I love a great big fat snow storm.
"Toba, toba, toba." You move the palm of your hand back and forth over your lips 3 times as you say the words as a way to protect you from what you've just said. (A helpful Bangladeshi superstition)  

I love:
--the monochromatic palette
--smoke from a neighbor's chimney
--how cozy becomes prominent
--having candles and matches ready
--the suspension of life as usual
--empty streets
--the untouchedness of the snow 
--how good a can of soup can taste
--using the extra big puff on the bed
--having a fireplace
--pop corn is mandatory
--cancellations, cancellations
--the suspension of time
--realizing the blessing of electricity and heat
-- the reminder that nature is huge (not Yuge)
--sensing  my Midwest prairie pioneers ancestors
--ma in her kerchief and pa in his cap taking a long Winter's nap

TOBA, TOBA, TOBA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment