Sunday, June 2, 2013

WHERE DID THE TERM "TRUTH BURPS" COME FROM?????



Recently, I've been asked how I chose "Truth Burps" to name this blog. Not "what" a truth burp is.  That, people seem to get.  Not what, but from where.
First, how fun to have people care enough to ask.
Second, I so want to hear your voices/burps back.
Someday I'll figure out how to do that.

SO anyway, the term "Truth Burps" got started at work.
I'd be in a meeting going nowhere and I'd ask "Who else is bored to tears?"
TRUTH BURP!
Or talking about how to develop some one's leadership and the conversation was lifeless and I'd say, "Why are we faking this discussion. This person has no leadership talent?"
TRUTH BURP!
Or a conflict resolution meeting when 10,000 reasons for not working well were given, finally asking, "Do you two just make each others skin crawl?"

You get the idea. Sometimes they were helpful, sometimes rude, sometimes funny, sometimes regretful but always a spontaneous moment of truth.
I would semi-apologize and say, "Excuse me, that was a truth burp?"  People began to use the phrase.  

So that's the gist of it. 

But here's something that  just makes me happy at the absurdity of us all. 

I  live in Mexico part of the year and have developed deep friendships there.  Some read English and my blog.  So they told me about the Chaluma Indians  who live in a Tzotzil Mayan village in Chiapas, Mexico.

This is a small isolated village that doesn't allow visitors after sundown.
They practice a mixture of Catholicism and Mayan religion.
BURPING is central to their religious practice.
Burping is considered cleansing because it expels the bad spirits!!
The central church has many altars  with soda bottles playing a central role--especially Coca Cola although Pepsi and Fanta are now used as well. But Coke
produces the best burps!!  What can I say?
They have been doing conscious burping for years. Before Coke it was an herbal mixture called pox.

Look it up. 
Total truth.
Makes my day.
How could anyone not think life is fabulously funny and rich??





No comments:

Post a Comment