Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I JUST MAY BE READY TO BE A DOWAGER

My family may already think I am!
Yes I am a fan of Downton Abbey.  I tried to avoid it just like I tried (and managed) to never see The Titanic.  But I am addicted like the rest of the world.  I cry.  I always hate the first half when everything goes to hell, but am relieved when the resolution begins in the second half.  I wait for the plucking sounds of the string section to start.  Listen for it.  It means things will get better.

Anyway, I ask people which character they identify with.  It's like a Rorschach test.
Much to my surprise I identifiy with the Dowager.
I would prefer to be the wife of Lord Grantham.
But I am beginning to want to say and do what I want to say and do and get away with it because I am the Dowager!!
And I am fierce about wanting to protect my family and to hand down things--like pots and pans and photos and recipes and family traditions and values.
And to be waited on a little and revered too.
And not to care if I am dreaded a little and made fun of as well.
And to say my wisdom and maneuver if need be to make things right---to my thinking.
Positional power in the home!
I've had it in the work place. How nice to have it at home.

I think I need a cane.




No comments:

Post a Comment