Monday, January 19, 2015

SEQUESTERED FOR 3 AND A HALF DAYS!


My husband went to visit on of our adult kids for a long week-end.
I decided to give myself what I say I long for.
I cancelled any obligations I had and settled.

Turns out I actually want what I long to have.
But it sounds easier than it is to make happen in our culture.

First, it took lots of calendar juggling to create the free space.
Second, I had to calm my "get things done" inner junkie and not use the time to do a major household task.
Third I had to be more conscious about what to do with the emptiness.

I decided to read without purpose, to sit and think.
I set up in  front of the fireplace shifting my favorite chair to face it.
And i made the bedroom zen like and put white lights on a four foot grapefruit tree plant (planted with the seed of a grapefruit from the birth of my first baby--ahhhh)  I love it. 

I think I most enjoyed quiet mornings with no talk and I'll make this happen more often.  It was a gentle way to begin a day.
It takes awhile to settle into solitude so the truest day was Saturday.  
I read two books. The phone did not ring. No television. No online. Books, me, coffee, fire. I read a memoir, LITTLE HEATHENS, that could have been written my my mom about childhood on an Iowa farm. Perfect. Then I blew it.  I decided to read GONE GIRL for the fun of it. Fine. Except that I had already read it before it became what it is AND didn't realize it soon enough. I wont' say more.  No spoiler here.

Sunday I began to have the end of vacation heebie-jeebies because I had invited my daughter and family to watch football. Discipline slippage.  Thought I'd be ready for people. And I mostly was. I had a slow simmer of cabin fever going.

And now Monday comes with a flood of the undone.
I leave soon to pick up my husband and my everyday life.

We are one crazy busy culture.  Sequester for three days and find your own speed again--the one that doesn't adjust to demand from the outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment