Sunday, February 15, 2015

I'VE GONE GROGGY AND I THINK I LIKE IT


Something about this long and brutal (and beautiful) Winter has put me to sleep.  Every night when I get under the covers in a cold bedroom, I feel like "ma in her kerchief and pa in his cap" who have just settled down, "for a long Winter's nap."

 Here's what I like: 

--Things get cancelled. More breathing space on my calendar.

--The world is literally quieter, muted by snow piles shoulder high.

--I like the beauty that is so shockingly odd if you think about it.  We are living 
   in powdered ice and acting like it isn't extraordinary. My friends in Mexico
   still don't believe it's possible.

--I do feel shut out from the larger world. I feel held in and I like it.
  I put off doing things. Deadlines are apt to be changed because of weather
  and seem more gentle. 

--I am kind of frozen like the world. As care for personal safety and even 
  survival come to the front, the rest of the world recedes during a dramatic
  blizzard day.  I am suspended for a while.

Lucky me. I have warmth.  I have resources.  And for a day, I forget that
we live in a world that still settles big problems like Barbarians an in an environment swirling with hate.  I prefer the blizzard



No comments:

Post a Comment