Monday, October 26, 2015

SELF-NAGGING: THE GOOD AND THE BAD


I self-nag. I assume you do too. It's why choice is such a pain in the neck.
It's why a task that must be done or a medical emergency is sometimes kind of 
relaxing. Truly. Why?  Because there is not much choice involved.

When I have discretionary time, I get two voices going at me at the same time. One is my good nag and the other is my evil nag. "Read that book you're loving" says Good Nag. "Clean that closet, clean that closet" says Bad Nag.

Of course the tricky part is to know the difference between Good Nag and Bad Nag. (I'm getting a Halloween vibe here)  In a workshop, I would have us create and name our Good Nag and Bad Nag.  

The Nags nudge you to action.  Reading the book could be bad in reality and cleaning the closet could be very good.  How do you/I know? 
 Here's how I sort of know:

-If while taking action (book or closet)  I enjoy it while I am doing it. I don't resent it or think I shouldn't be doing it. Good Nag

-If I know that I am acting on a value that matters to me even if I hate the activity. Good Nap

-If the action begins to feel so so burdensome that I can't do it well or finish or
take pride in it. Bad Nag

-If the action is something I would do if the day was one of my last.  Good Nag
Great Nag.

I'll tell you why I care.  ALL TIME IS DISCRETIONARY. EVERYDAY, ALL THE TIME, WE CHOOSE HOW TO SPEND OUR LIVES.







No comments:

Post a Comment