Sunday, October 16, 2016

JUST FOR FUN!

I subscribe to the New York Times Book Review and it is my Sunday afternoon pleasure. I am such a book worm that I am actually relieved when I don't end up with a list of books to read. In the Book Review there is always an interview with an author who usually has a new book out. I offer my answers JUST FOR FUN and want to hear yours JUST FOR FUN. I'm just curious. Let me know.
OK let's play!

NYT--What books are currently on your nightstand?
     "My books are on my nightstand, under the bed, in the bathroom and on the kitchen table. They are: Commonwealth  by Ann Patchett, The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton. Messy:The Power of Disorder to Transform Our Lives by Tim Harford (a book I should have written, being an expert on 'messy' and Eleanor and Hick: The Love Affair That Shaped a First Lady by Susan Quinn

NYT--What's the last great book you read?
     A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW by Armor Towle. I loved it. I even said I was enchanted by it. How's that for hyperbole. It was charming, civil, captured a historical era easily, had wonderful characters full of heart and a lovely almost fairy tale tone. Storytelling at its best! 

NYT--Do you have an all-time favorite author?
     Nope.

NYT--What moves you most in a work of literature?
     This is not so easy. Hmm. Depth. Writing that makes me smile when it is so fresh and so right. At least one character that wants to do some good. An author voice that comes through that is thoughtful about the big picture of life.
Characters that I like and can imagine when the book ends. And I love stories that take place in a strong culture and context.

NYT--What book would people be surprised to find on your book shelf?
     THE ORIGINS OF CONSCIOUSNESS IN THE BICAMERAL BRAIN.Yep.
I love books about the biology of the brain and of new physics. I remember none of it after I read it but I keep at it.

NYT--You are having a dinner party. What three writers would you invite.
     Ann Patchett, Anne Tyler and Kate Atkinson. I think we would laugh our heads of and be BFF's.

There are other questions but, hey, I'm doing this for fun on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Try a few and send your answers to me.  I won't share unless you say OK.  

PS--I love Gronk. (I am a Patriot fan.)
      I love the Cubs
      I hate the crazy nasty clown trend
      Pop corn makes my day right
      My granddaughter and I shout "Hooray for Red" everytime we see it. 
      I'm always a little blue on Sunday night
     


No comments:

Post a Comment