Monday, January 16, 2017

HOPE FOR ME IS NOT---"The Thing With Feathers"


Today, the air will be filled with quotes of Martin Luther King, especially his words of hope and endurance. I had picked a few to share myself but knowing there will be a glut of King quotes
I began to look at other quotes about hope.

Wow. Want trite? Pap? Shallow encouragement? Go take a look at quotes on hope. But some caught my eye and rang true or rang funny or rang. Before I share them, I thought I should try my hand at talking about hope.

Mmmmm. Hawwww. Well, then. 
OK. 
Sometimes I go look for hope when I'm on empty. That usually means I make myself get active in some way. I make myself stretch to do work I don't want to do, to do something for someone else when I don't feel like it. That activation brings about some kind of energy, some priming of the pump and I get my hope back. There it is. I have my reservoir of optimism full and it fuels hope.

OR, I have unexpected fun, I laugh, I give up, I think "Oh what the hell" or I do something spontaneous, naughty, dumb rule breaking and suddenly there is joy energy which gives me hope energy for challenge. 
Hope feels like a slow drip of joy that involves waiting without despair. Not exuberant but
steadfastly positive.

PHEW. Glad that's over. You try talking about hope!
Here are some more quotes about hope that keep it real:

“If you are going through hell, keep going
― Winston S. Churchill

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silversteining


“Hope is the power of being cheerful in circumstances that we know to be desperate.”― G.K. Chesterton

“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.” 
― Robert FulghumAll I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten:

“If you're reading this...
Congratulations, you're alive.
If that's not something to smile about,
then I don't know what is.” 
― Chad SuggMonsters Under Your Head

No comments:

Post a Comment